Holiday Season Retail Rush – Truckload Capacity, Detention and Appointments
As we cross into November the holiday retail rush will be upon us. With last minute orders coming in via ocean, air, and from domestic manufacturers, truckload capacity will surely tighten, along with LTL capacity. Along with that are delays at the big box retailers and various warehouses and the topic for this conversation – carrier detention and appointments.
LTL carriers do not typically charge detention as they make appointments, when requested, or they have data in their systems noting certain destinations and warehouses require appointments. When you ship Truckloads – TL – be sure to find out how many FREE hours of detention you get. Drivers will not sit at a location forever without getting paid something for their time. I suggest the following:
- Find out how much TL detention is per hour before dispatching the load
- Find out how much free time you get as it does vary greatly
- Advise on the BOL if the driver needs an appointment for delivery (this can reduce detention in many cases)
- Provide the phone number and contact name on the BOL for TL and LTL moves. (this minimizes delays)
- Appointments required when shipping with LTL carriers at times may delay delivery by a day (varies by carrier)
- If you need to meet a PO deadline or drop delivery date to avoid back charges from the retailer, ship it guaranteed
When you have expedited logistical needs, call us and just say these magic words, “I need this guaranteed!”. Our team will take care of the rest for you. firstname.lastname@example.org or 407-507-4418
Our dedicated teams will work closely with your supply chain, sales, and operational team members to achieve the results that you require. For over 14 years we have been helping our clients achieve their corporate goals – isn’t it time you made the call and see what we can do for you? Call your Sales Consultant, call us directly at and ask to speak to a Sales Professional, email us at email@example.com, or click here for a rate quote so we can begin to help you meet your companies objectives.
Need help shipping a Small Parcels Internationally from 5 lbs . to 500 lbs internationally? Give us a call at 407-507-4418 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as we work through a DHL Authorized Partner.