The Baltic Exchange’s main sea freight index, tracking rates for ships ferrying dry bulk commodities, rose on Friday, helped by strong demand for capesize vessels.
* The overall index, which factors in rates for capesize, panamax and supramax shipping vessels, gained 64 points, or 4.2 percent, to 1,579 points.
* The capesize index marked its highest daily percentage gain since July 12 rising 8.2 percent, or 164 points, to 2,169 points.
* Average daily earnings for capesizes, which typically transport 170,000-180,000 tonne cargoes such as iron ore and coal, were up $1,541 at $18,746.
* The panamax index rose 12 points or 0.7 percent to 1,775 points.
* Average daily earnings for panamaxes, which usually carry coal or grain cargoes of about 60,000 to 70,000 tonnes, increased $94 to $14,227.
* The supramax index fell 3 points to 1,204 points.
Reporting by Harshith Aranya in Bengaluru
[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]